Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Polar Bear Blues



The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Alaska is the polar bears and the penguins. I was so excited to see them as soon as I got here. Of course I thought they must roam every where in the wild because it's Alaksa. Wrong! I know. I know. I should have thought that one through a little more. It's probably due to my intense love for Madasgascar (the movie) in which the penguins hang out on sand that I got a skewed image of cold climate animals also living in warm climates. But in the real world that doesn't happen. Just as in the real world, I obviously wouldn't sign myself up for a summer in temperatures/ice/snow that could support living polar bears and penguins.

Supposedly these animals are only found much further north and even if you go much further north you still can't see them unless you fly into some small village on the middle of an iced over lake and trudge around in the winter wonderland that is home to these animals. So basically you have to have about 5.2 catrillion dollars or work for discovery channel or something to see a polar bear in real life. And if you make it all the way there and you find a polar bear he will inevitably be the last thing you ever see because they aren't very fond of humans. (Correction: they actually are fond of humans....for breakfast.)

Luckily, even though I'm not able to see a a live polar bear in Alaska I was still able to see one as soon as I landed at the Anchorage airport. Who cares if it's alive? I saw a polar bear in Alaska! Plus, since it wasn't alive I had the fortunate advantage of walking away to see more of Alaska.

***Note: There are really only 2 polar bears in the pictures above. The other hairy faced animal is just my boyfriend, Bryce.

No comments:

Post a Comment